Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Yemas

A Cook's Treasure by Gloria Parinas Duterte, from Cebu City, Philippines has always been a reliable source of recipes for home cooked meals and goodies.  It was published in 1984, and with a sigh of relief, I still have the book.  It was lost, borrowed, misplaced so many times, and I always go frantic whenever it went missing.  I've already posted some of her recipes here, as a back up.

Since myfriendsunjun asked for this, I'm posting two versions of the Yemas, I as a kid loved.  I can't remember anymore which I preferred, it's your choice between more milk or more yolk.  I suppose, more yolk will turn out creamier in the inside, crisp on the outside.

Yemas

I.
1 can condensed milk
8 large egg yolk or 12 native egg yolk
1 tsp orange rind, minced or any flavoring
2 cups sugar for caramel
Cellophane cut in squares 4"x4", plain or colored

II.
10 egg yolks
2 cans condensed milk
1 tsp lemon rind or other flavoring
2 cups sugar for caramel
Cellophane cut in squares 4"x4", plain or colored

Beat yolks slightly and mix with milk.  Cook over low fire until mixture is thick.  Add flavor.  When mixture is difficult to stir, remove from fire and form into balls (or as you please).

Heat sugar in low heat to make caramelized sugar.  Once caramel is ready, coat balls quickly, using toothpick to dip yemas into it.  Let balls stand for a few minutes to dry coating on greased pan before wrapping.  Use caramel quickly, if it hardens, place over fire again on low heat.  Cool yemas thoroughly before wrapping in cellophane.

Note:  I like yemas minus the caramel coating. :)

Other than the yemas, my childhood favorite includes Duterte's recipes on Lenguas de Gato and Polvoron and I've been wanting to try her sans rival, and I've been saying that for the past twenty years. haha

8 comments:

Sun Jun said...

waaaah! you didn't read my post carefully. I'm not searching for this kind of yema hehehe. the Yema towers are different for sure. This is more like pastillas i think. This I think is custard-like.

Sun Jun said...

but thanks anyway. ^^

and the TSK doesn't convey what you're trying to convey hahaha. I can relate with your sister.

freeze said...

ha? what's the difference? you're looking for Crunchy on the outside, soft and gooey on the inside right?

freeze said...

i don't eat pastillas man gud. :)))

Anonymous said...

i want to buy molder for yema tower. do you happen to know where i can buy? kindly email me at cheryl_a_pedrera@yahoo.com. thanks!

Sun Jun said...

ask achi cathy. hahaha ^^ the yemas that I like have a more sticky consistency. crispy on the outside but a very thin layer lang. and not because of a sugar coating but simply the mixture forming a crust. ^^

freeze said...

anonymous, sorry i have no idea.

freeze said...

sunjun, yeah it's not sugar coated, simply from the mixture that hardens like a crust!