I've decided to whip up my own version of the spinach dip. It's close to the one served at Cafe George. (I claim it! Haha Maybe i should add white onions next time. But it was a hit, the kids loved it just the same.)
Adopted from http://allrecipes.com/recipe/228778/creamy-cheesy-spinach-dip/
1 bulb of garlic, chopped
Half white onion
2 tbsp olive oil
2 c fresh spinach leaves (washed in a bowl of water with salt)
2 c fresh milk
150g (arla natural) cream cheese
200g (arla) mozarella cheese
1. In a small pot, saute garlic in olive oil over low heat. (Next time, I ought to try it with white onions to give that sweetened kick.)
2. Add in the spinach leaves and saute.
3. Remove from pot.
4. In the same pot, put the milk, simmer over low heat, stirring constantly to avoid burning and curdling.
5. Add in cream cheese and mozarella stirring constantly until melted. (For low fat alternative, use ricotta cheese.). Still watery consistency.
6. Add in the spinach with garlic and onions.
7. Blend it. Using a high powered (hand) blender, blend for a few seconds (or a regular osterizer). Make sure to leave green spots of the spinach for it to be visually appetizing. Do not overblend.
8. Serve hot (or cool over room temperature) with toasted bread. Consistency thickens further when it cools.
For home made garlic bread, simply brush olive oil and rub in garlic over bread; toast to desired perfection.