Search This Blog

Friday, January 8, 2010

Roka Salata ala Cyma

I'm definitely not the only one crazy over the Roka Salata in Cyma. I'm not a salad lover but with this one, I'm fine having it as my main dish. The explosion of various flavors all in one salad is amazing - the sweetness of the candied walnuts, the sourness of the Greek vinaigrette, the salty taste of the cheese, and the peppery-mustard flavor of arugula.

After feasting over the holidays, I ought to go on a diet and eat more green. Not only the weighing scale is mocking me, the measuring tape too! So I decided to hit the grocery on New Year's Day and yes, I found fresh roka or otherwise known as aragula. I got a bottle of balsamic vinaigrette off the shelf too, it's good enough but I proceeded to do my own version:

Greek Vinaigrette:

serves 1 -2

2 tsp red wine vinegar (or balsamic vinegar)
garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoon fresh chopped basil (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
1 teaspoon fresh chopped oregano (or 1/4 teaspoon dried)
1 tsp lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
1/8 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tsp dijon mustard
2 tsp honey

Combine the first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl. Slowly whisk in oil until blended or better yet, mix in a food processor. Season with salt and pepper. Cyma's version is quite creamy (consistency). Adding dijon mustard and honey should do the trick.

Alternatively, you might want to try Natural Directions' Balsamic Vinaigrette.  I've tried too many kinds, this comes closest to cyma's version although lighter.  Found them at Rustan's Supermarket, but they don't have it on the shelf for some time now.


Preparing the salad:

fresh roka (arugula)
lettuce (baguio/romaine/ice berg, etc)
sun-dried tomatoes or dates (or slice apples or pears)
candied walnuts**
parmesan cheese (and blue cheese)

Roka Salata with honeyed almonds, parmesan and blue cheese
Wash the veggies with cold running water, cut into bite size, soak it in cold water and keep refrigerated until ready to serve. When ready to serve, remove excess water using a salad spinner.

**To make candied walnuts, buy shelled walnuts. On low fire, heat honey for about 10-15 minutes, then dip in the shelled walnuts. Viola, you have your own version of candied walnuts. Walnuts can be substituted with honeyed pili nuts.  But I normally make a short cut, by simply coating the walnuts with honey (you will only need a little honey to coat it).

Simply toss the veggies, sun-dried tomatoes, candied walnuts with the vinaigrette, top with paper thin parmesan cheese. You may add sliced apples or pears for variety.

Buying tips on aragula:

Look for dark greens leaves of a uniform color. Avoid yellowing leaves, damages leaves, wilted leaves, or excessively moist-looking leaves. A bit of dirt is fine - it is likely the result of recent rain or watering.

Smaller arugula leaves tend to be milder, while larger leaves tend to have a more aggressive, peppery kick. Similarly, wild arugula - sometimes available from foragers in the late spring and again in the fall in temperate regions - is much more peppery than most cultivated leaves.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks heaps for this! i live overseas and won't be getting my hand's on Cyma's version anytime soon, but at least i can attempt to make my own now. =)

Anonymous said...

thanks heaps for this! i live overseas and won't be getting my hand's on Cyma's version anytime soon, but at least i can attempt to make my own now. =)

me said...

you're welcome :) thanks for dropping by.

reflector said...

i just love cyma's roka salata and gyro..and I'm so thankful to have this recipe. trying to search for gyro recipe hope you can provide one ala cyma style.

freeze said...

hi reflector, how did it go? sorry i don't have the recipe for gyro.

Anonymous said...

Hi! :) I am so glad I got to run across your recipe. I'm from Cebu and was wondering where I could buy red wine vinegar?

freeze said...

hi anonymous, it's readily available at the grocery like metro, rustans or savemore.

Anonymous said...

been months searching for the creamy and addicting vinaigrette sauce of cyma..tried asking cyma but wont give a hint of their mixture...at last i found you online thank you very much =)best healthy food diet- roka salata!

Len Perez-Pandes said...

Hi! Which branch were you able to buy argula? No luck so far with the nearest ones you mentioned. Thanks!